Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP)
Platelet Rich Therapy is the latest therapy using the patients own blood to enhance the beauty of the skin.
INDICATIONS FOR A TREATMENT:
- Treating Acne Scars
- Facial Rejuvenation (Anti-aging)
- Hand Rejuvenation
- Hair Loss (Balding)
- Stretch Marks
How is the procedure done?
The procedure is done over three sessions (one treatment per month over three months).
Blood contains 3 elements, viz:
- RBC: Red Blood Corpuscles
- WBC: White Blood Corpuscles
- PLATELETS: Platelets help the blood to clot. The Platelets also contain many growth factors, eg, Epidermal Growth Factor, offer growth factors which when introduced into skin helps to overcome anti-aging, by stimulating the production of collagen, which overcomes anti-aging. Epidermal Growth Factor on the scalp stimulates the production of hair and overcomes balding.
The actual procedure takes +/- 20 minutes. It involves the following steps:
- Blood is removed from a patient (+/- 20ml)
- It is then centrifuged and the Platelet Rich Plasma is removed
- It it then introduced into your skin using a special roller
Kindly note that due to the risk of infection only one roller per patient is used. The patient purchases the roller on the first treatment, and it is sterilised and used on the same patient. No sharing of rollers allowed.
What are the side effects?
The side effects of this treatment is minimal since we are using the
patients own blood. The patient may experience the following:
- Redness which disappears after one day
- Pain, which two Paracetamol can be used to reduce
What is the cost of the treatment?
The treatment costs:
- First treatment costs R2 500, which includes the price of the roller
- Second treatment cost R2 000
- Third treatment costs R2 000
*Please note that Medical Aid does not pay for this procedure.
How long is the procedure?
The entire procedure takes about 30 minutes